Translate

Monday, January 19, 2009

A few gifts from friends.., reminiscing..

This features two small tea cups from Kim (about a year ago)
Kim is also an artist, she is both a graphic artist and she builds wonderful assemblages, I love this one soo much!
and paints, and does 'everything'.   
She finds nice ceramic art like these cups ...and...her blog is a sensation!

Kim's  Mother, Diane, (I've known almost as long as Kim, who I went  to college with), fills me up with
'elegant after-maths' every time I visit.

( I have yet to eat Linda Reeder's cookies, tho)


These sweet Japanese napkin rings are made by Yumiko's Mother, in Kobe. 
Yumiko was a house mate years ago in Snohomish while she was in college here. 
We stayed up many a night working on papers together on my computer.
The good ole'days!
I miss Yumiko so much. I hope she visits soon.

 I have several other gifts from her to post later on. 
But aren't these just delicate beautiful napkin rings?


The Wiinblad piece (the round plate the cup sits on) is from Jennifer, 
who I went to college with, too. 
I recall, vividly, the day we met.
 I was in in the sculpting classroom,
 ( along with Kim) 
and Jennifer was in print making across the hall.
 Kim invited her to go to coffee with us.
Jennifer  was tall and thin, and  had the mischievous look of an elf.
Delightful!
She had been an exchange student in Denmark in high school,
 and had all these wonderful Danish things. 
She and I shared a love of Wiinblad early on.
I remember once I was sick, and she brought her  down comforter
 with delightful Wiinblad cover to comfort me. Ahhh.....

I have another plate like this from her, and these delightful renditions of the four seasons....


I cherish my friends and their contributions to my life. 


BTW, the oil lamp is from an antique store in Seattle.
(Originally from Denmark, go figure)

 I collect oil lamps, sort of, and buttons, and Wiinblad, and 'stuff'...
Ok, I collect Mexican folk art, goblets, special instruments ( Shakahatchi flute from Japan, drum from Rwanda, Rain stick from Brazil, Organetta from Germany), ceramic art, special sea shells, and ordinary seashells..beach glass, of course, and apparently flower petals...
........why stop there?

Here are some bottles with my walks along several beaches, including many NW beaches, Sea of Japan, Halfmoon Bay,Sea of Cortez, etc. and some buttons in jars. I have Kate Greenaway buttons and calico buttons and a treasure trove of other buttons.

..and here's a kimono bunny from Kobo in Seattle, oh and I collect kimono's.
I guess it is only fair to say I collect 'art'.