Translate

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Brown Pelicans

Brown Pelicans Fishing at Rialto Beach
A rare 'previously endangered' species. 
The only Pelican that plunges from the air into the water to catch it's food.
 It is an amazing sight.
They skim the surface of the waves when hunting.
The wingspan is 79 inches, and they weigh about 11 lbs..and incubate their eggs by standing on them ( in a fashion).
You have to enlarge these photos to appreciate  seeing these birds.
The Pelicans seem come in each morning from that haystack in the distance, 
perhaps it is a stop over, I don't know.
 The birds go into a dive, and at the last moment, tuck their wings, 
and pierce the water coming  up with a fish.
Other small birds hang around trying to steal a bite.
The birds look dark and ominous as they fly in together in the morning, or from one part of the beach to another. 
The large beaks  make them look like giant mosquitos.
I have watched them for the better part of 'days' while at the beach.
Rialto is a ferry ride and about 2 hours from home in Mukilteo.

I know I said I was going to do flowers, but I guess I changed my mind...BUT...
in defense of flowers, which actually need no defending....
I think flowers are perfectly acceptable for City Photo blogs, flowers are 'not' the same world wide, or in anyone's garden either. 
Flowers are unique, beautiful, and appreciated the world over.
Flower quotes
Earth laughs in flowers. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"
I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman
A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books. ~Walt Whitman
The violets in the mountains have broken the rocks. ~Tennessee Williams
Flowers are without hope. Because hope is tomorrow and flowers have no tomorrow. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin
Break open a cherry tree and there are no flowers, but the spring breeze brings forth myriad blossoms. ~Ikkyu Sojun
Perfumes are the feelings of flowers. ~Heinrich Heine, The Hartz Journey