Translate

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

I Miss Mexico

 Having spent considerable time in Mexico since I was 3 1/2-4 years old I felt all the world was my culture of course at that age your brain is not cognitive. Rather just completing its cognitive development. But cellularly every cell held the memory of those excursions into another culture. All children need to travel out of the country in their formative years. In this way we become multicultural! 

I don’t think I’m Special when I’m in another country, or when I return,  I just belong. I belong to the world. My family was gracious that way plus I was born into the melting pot of Pittsburgh PA. I’ve lived around the country, back east, Maryland, where my great great uncles dairy farm was at Sugarloaf Mountain. 

So many sensory memories there. And also our farm in West Va.  Then Virginia Beach, I was introduced to yoga there and practiced yoga on the beach when I was 17 years old. 

I lived in Charleston too a few years. 

Illinois 

 Texas,  held captive there way too long  

Charleston was different. Spanish moss hanging from the trees, swaying in the breeze. Somehow it was akin to the southern drawl of the Deep South. 

Short stint in Japan, Northern Honshu. I love Japan. 

Washington. I’ve lived here now 34 years I think. 

And I’m wanting to live in Vancouver bad awhile still. 

I go there quite a lot but not since Covid. I’m hoping to stay a month this fall. And I have spent weeks in Portland and on the Oregon coast. But I miss Mexico. 

I spent quite a lot of time in the city ( Mexico City) and San Miguel de Allende. In the mountains and it’s a colonial town. 

Yes I miss it there. 

I’ll post some photos one day. 

But for now I’m in this Parsduse where everything in in reach within less than 4 hours drive. The Sound is by my house. The ocean is a few ferry rides and drive away. Canada, Vancouver a few hours. The snow country 4 hours. Rain forests a few hours. Volcanoes. Etc. 

I’ve spent many years backpacking around here. That was something extraordinary! 

I miss the time steeped in crawling out of tents. Almost getting eaten by bears and trying to keep raccoons out of my food. 

The joys of life. I’ll write more about them later as I reflect upon my adventures and misadventures. 

Thnx for stopping to read. 

A few photos of my beach and local stomping grounds.